Monday, September 28, 2009

Tonight, I am the Tenzo.

So I rarely cook at home for the wife and I. She enjoys cooking and only cooks a few times a week. so tonight I asked if it was okay if I cooked. Was just gonna throw in the Wal-Mart pizza we had in the freezer.

I have worked restaurants for about 16 years now. But due to my almost always joking demeanor ( rare is it I say something more serious and I often make jokes about my competency level) my wife is a lil hesitant to let me use things like ovens and knives. A bit worried about my competency level. A shame as long as we've been together that she takes it a bit too serious sometimes.

As I started to the kitchen, it hit me to give thanks. Inspired by the recent readings of Tenzo Kyokun...Dogen Zenji's instructions for the cooks, I found myself thanking the Kitchen God. Then the various tools of the trade such as the cutting board and the knife.

Walking in gratitude toward the fridge ( I now thank the fridge, i forgot..probably the only thing) I noticed it was just a cheese pizza and wondered what I could do to make it a bit more enjoyable, not to mention some veggies since we are both sick was not a bad idea.

At first I didn't really see anything. then I remembered the Tenzo is grateful for what he has, not what he doesn't. Work with what you have.

I retrieved a jalapeno, carrots, brocolli and corn. and a little bit of leftover shredded mixed cheese.

I then pulled out some cumin, black pepper, garlic powder and crushed red pepper.

I gave thanks for each item individually as I retrieved them from the fridge and cabinet. Remembered to be grateful to their sources as well.

Gave thanks again as I used each item, and as I prepared and returned them to their proper locations.

Gave thanks to the microwave as it defrosted the corn and broccoli.

Gave thanks for the second time to the oven as I inserted the prepared pizza.

Worried a little about how it would taste, then dismissed it as I should be grateful for having the food.

Sat zazen while I waited for it to cook. got up just in time to have the almost perfect pizza. Put it backin and sat another 3-4 minutes.

Pulled it out and it looked perfect.

I bowed to it.

Thanked the oven again.

then proceeded to face the front door where my wife would enter. Again inspired by the Tenzo Kyokun. and began to give a total of about 9 prostrations in gratitude to the monk I was feeding ( wife who is not buddhist but has her own Way), Buddha, Dharma, Sangha, Kitchen God, the farmers for the veggies, the Wal-Mart workers and factory workers, Treeleaf Sangha for guiding me to where I had such appreciation for all things involved, and then the final prostration for any being involved I may not have thought to thank.

My wife better love this pizza. That's all I'm sayin.If not fuck her, this is some tasty shit.

Dave _/\_

No comments:

Post a Comment